Dino Melaye Sued Former Governor Ibrahim Idris Of Kogi State Over N57 Billion Loot

dino melaye sues former kogi governor

April 30, 2013 – Dino Melaye Sued Ex-Governor Ibrahim Idris Of Kogi State Over Missing N57 Billion

Former Nigerian lawmaker, Dino Melaye, has sued ex-Governor Ibrahim Idris of Kogi State over alleged corruption, looting and massive misappropriation of state funds. The former lawmaker accuses Mr. Idris of squandering N57 billion of the state’s fund during an eight-month period that the Supreme Court decided that the governor overstayed in office.

Mr. Melaye, who heads an anti-corruption network, wants Mr. Ibrahim Idris declared guilty of looting the funds spent by his administration within a period that the Supreme Court declared the administration illegal. The court ruling was handed down last year.

Mr. Melaye’s lawsuit commenced yesterday in a Lokoja High Court, with I. Akubo appearing as the former governor’s defense lawyer.

Mr. Idris was removed from office alongside four other governors last year after a ruling by the Supreme Court held that they were enjoying an illegally extended tenure. The other governors affected by the ruling were Murtala Nyako of Adamawa State, Timipre Sylva of Bayelsa, Aliyu Wamakko of Sokoto and Liyel Imoke of Cross River State. All five governors removed by the Supreme Court judgment belonged to the the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)

Mr. Melaye’s suit was adjourned to May 15, 2013.

Meanwhile, several sources in Kogi State told Saharareporters that Mr. Melaye, a former member of the House of Representatives, is planning to run for the governorship of the state. An associate of former Governor Idris told our correspondent that Mr. Melaye’s lawsuit was an effort by the ex-lawmaker to prop up his political credentials. “He’s just trying to use this lawsuit to announce that he has arrived,” said the critic.

[By Sahara Reporter, New York]