Jonathan Cancels Chibok Trip For Paris Security Summit, Nigerians Disappointed
May 16, 2014 – Jonathan Cancels Chibok Visit For Paris Security Summit, Nigerians Disappointed
President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan has changed his mind over his planned visit to Chibok, Borno State, the town where over 234 female Nigerian students were kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists last month.
According to a statement released to AFP on Friday morning, GEJ changed his mind in order to discuss the Boko Haram threat to regional stability.
“The president has cancelled his visit to Chibok. It was on his schedule up until this morning,” a presidential official told AFP, without giving a valid reason.
Instead of the scheduled Chibok trip, Jonathan will now head to Paris for the security summit.
President Jonathan has been heavily criticized for their slow response to the kidnapping on April 14, which saw Islamist militants snatch 276 girls from their school.
This cancellation will likely prompt further criticism of the government’s handling of the crisis.
The United States said on Thursday condemned Nigeria’s “slow” response to the kidnapping and said resolving the crisis was not “one of the highest priorities of the US government”.
Debo Adeniran, of the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders pressure group, said he was “shocked and disappointed” at the cancellation of the belate visit — and it sent a troubling message.
“If as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces, he is afraid to visit Chibok because of security fears, he is simply telling the hapless people in the northeast that he cannot protect them and they should resign to their fate,” he said.
“He is also telling the soldiers fighting Boko Haram elements in the region that they are on their own,” he added, calling for Jonathan to resign.
“For the abducted girls, they can now see clearly that the person they call their president is a misfit, lilly-livered and lacks any moral claim to leadership. Everybody is disappointed,” he said.