Lafia Nasarawa Police Killings: Burnt Remains Of Killed Officers Released To Family
May 13, 2013 – Lafia Nasarawa Police Killings: Burnt Remains Of Killed Officers Released To Family
Reports say that additional 25 corpses were evacuated between Saturday night and Sunday afternoon, contrary to what the Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr. Mohammed Abubakar, said, that only 23 security operatives were killed by the outlawed Ombatse militiamen at Alakyo village in Lafia East development area of Nasarawa
State last week Tuesday.
Additional 18 corpses were said to have been brought to Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital (DASH), Lafia, the state capital, on Saturday night, while another seven were deposited on Sunday around 2.30 pm, contrary to 23 given by IGP Abubakar during his visit to the state capital, Lafia, on Saturday.
In the meantime, government and police authorities have released to wives and relatives bodies of the slain security personnel.
Online sources revealed that the management of the hospital had since that Saturday night commenced the release of the corpses on the directive of the IGP, to the wives and relatives who could identify their people. It was learnt further that the immediate commencement of release of the corpses was not unconnected with the odour of the oozing from the bodies about six days ago.
Reports indicate that the environment of the hospital was prone to outbreak of cholera and other diseases, as maggots had started taking over the mangled bodies which were yet to be claimed by the wives or relatives of the deceased. Relations were also seen covering their noses.
One of the widows reportedly said, “I came last night but my husband was not among them and likewise this afternoon. We were told that they will still go back to bring the rest.”
A Red Cross official said that more corpses were still in the bush because they could not evacuate them at once. “We tried to pack them but the bodies are breaking into pieces, so we will need shovel to pack them,” he added.