Madalla Blast Casualties: 62 Injured, 34 Killed Says Fed. Govt
Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu
Dec 29, 2011 – Madalla Blast Casualties: 62 Injured, 34 Killed Says Fed. Govt
The Federal Government yesterday said 96 victims were affected by the Chrsitmas day bomb blast at the St. Theresa’s Catholic Church in Madalla, Suleja, Niger State. www.naijagists.com
Addressing reporters at the end of visits to University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, National Hospital and State House Clinic Abuja , the Minister of Health, Prof. Onyebuchi Chukwu said of the 96, 34 have been confirmed dead.
Speaking at the State House Clinic, yesterday, he said: “The figures we have at the Federal Ministry of Health are the figures that have been gathered by the Rapid Medical Emergency Response team of the Federal Ministry of Health. So far, we have been able to identify 96 victims of that blast out of which 34 have been confirmed dead.”
“This hospital initially took four patients. One has left the hospital with minor injury and another one was transferred to the National Hospital and remaining two have fracture and today they are looking better. Only two patients are remaining at the Suleja General Hospital. The Federal Government is going to take care of their bills.”
After going round the wards at the National Hospital, he said: “We are at the National Hospital and initially they brought in 29 victims. But when some other smaller hospitals started transferring, they got altogether 37 patients from the incident. Out of the 37 patients, 24 have now been discharged to be coming from home to the hospital as outpatients while 13 are presently on admission.”
“I have seen almost all the patients apart from those who have gone to the radiological department. They are undergoing further examinations there. I have seen those on their beds, some of them with head injuries. I have discussed with the management on plans for their further treatments and I am impressed with the plan they have. Many of them are doing well and they are even getting better. We have 23 bodies in the mortuary at the National Hospital. 21 of them are complete while the remaining two are incomplete.”
At the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital, Gwagwalada, the minister said: “The patients are doing well. One was brought in here dead. For the rest of the patients, they have lost one who had a major head injury. The skull was broken and the brain was gushing out. They took the patient to the theatre but unfortunately that patient didn’t survive.
“But we now have 13 surviving patients. We have gone round and they are doing well, even the ones with almost 50 percent burns are doing quite well, I am impressed. By next year, we will complete the traumatic centre under construction and equip it,” he said.