“My Kidnappers Torture & Beat Me With Guns” Freed Jonathan’s Uncle Narrates Ordeal

kidnappers torture jonathan uncle

March 13, 2014 – “My Kidnappers Torture & Beat Me With Guns” Freed President Jonathan’s Uncle Narrates Ordeal

Chief Inengite Nitabai, 70, the Uncle of President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday narrated his ordeal in the hands of kidnappers in Yenagoa, capital of southern Nigerian state of Bayelsa.

Nitabai spoke after the Commissioner of Police, Mr Hilary Opara, presented him to newsmen.

The septuagenarian, who described the experience as `traumatic’, said he was hit with gun butt and kicked on the floor by his abductors while in captivity.

Nitabai was abducted by about 10 gunmen at his home in Otuoke on 28 February.

The septuagenarian said the gunmen tied his hands, blind-folded him and tortured him to make him convince the president and other family members to pay up the ransom.

“I thank God for keeping me alive. I was made to sleep on the bare floor and fed with Garri and red oil for three weeks in the bush.

“I was tortured and beaten with guns and kicked with legs on the floor. When I was young, there was no such thing as kidnapping. I don’t know why it must be me,” Nitabai said.

Earlier, Opara said the Special Anti-kidnapping Squad led by Chris Nwogwu, secured the release of the septuagenarian.

According to him, the gunmen abandoned their victim at Ogboma, off Odioma in Brass Local Government Area of Bayelsa.

Nitabai was later found by the squad and brought to the command in Yenagoa for debriefing.

Opara said the police applied utmost professionalism in the way they carried out the operations that led to Nitabai’s freedom.

He said no ransom was paid to the kidnappers.

“We applied utmost professionalism in the way and manner we went about this kidnapping.

“No ransom was paid. We are going to arrest other persons involved in this crime,’’ he said.

The commissioner further thanked the family of the victim for cooperating with and believing in the police.

He said the family, especially the wife, was in touch with the police and heeded advice from the police that no ransom should be paid to the kidnappers.

The commissioner also commended the Inspector-General of Police and the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in Charge of Zone 5, for giving the command the freehand to work.

Opara said Gov. Seriake Dickson, was also instrumental to the successful operations by funding many of the trips embarked upon by the police in their quest to free the victim. (NAN)