Pastor, 2 Others Jailed 20yrs For Kidnapping
June 19, 2012 – Pastor & 2 Others Jailed 20yrs For Kidnapping
A 39-yr old Pastor named Peter Okafor and 2 other men, Ifeanyi Ojakpani and Christian eze 43 and 40 respectively have been jailed for 20 years over an alleged kidnap case. www.naijagists.com
Delta High Court sitting in Ogwashi-Uku in Aniocha South Local Government Area of the state on Monday sentenced a pastor and two other men to 20 years imprisonment each for kidnapping.
The convicts are Pastor Peter Okafor, 39, Mr. Ifeanyi Oiakpani, 43 and Christian Eze, 40.
The Judge, Justice Theresa Diai, who did not give the convicts option of fine, said that the prosecution had convinced the court beyond reasonable doubt that the convicts actually committed the offence.
Diai said that the evidence presented before the court by the prosecution assisted the court to pass the judgment, adding that the convicts though pleaded for leniency did not show remorse during the trial.
While sentencing the convicts, Diai said, “I have considered their plea for litigation and, therefore, sentence them to seven years imprisonment each for count one, another 10 years imprisonment each for count two.
“I also sentence them to three years imprisonment each for count three and the jail terms are to run concurrently.”
The prosecutor, Senior State Counsel, Mr Simon Biwei, had told the court that the convicts on December 21, 2009 conspired with others now at large at 15, Umuagu Quarters, Asaba to commit the offence.
Biwei also told the court that the convicts and others now at large on the same date and place unlawfully imprisoned Anthony Ogbolumani against his will.
He further told the court that the convicts and others now at large on the same day with intent to steal demanded for N20 million from Osadebey Obianuju with the threat of killing Ogbolumani if their demand was not met.
Biwei said that the offences were punishable under sections 516, 364(2) and 406 of the Criminal Code, Cap.C21, Vol. 1, Laws of Delta State, 2006.
The convicts had earlier pleaded not guilty to the three-count charge brought against them, and urged the court to discharge them for lack of sufficient evidence when they were arraigned on December 28, 2009.
Meanwhile, the Defence Counsel, Mr. Ken Obianyo and Mr. Lawrence Obiora, who appeared for the first and second convicts commended the court for the judgment.
They noted that the evidence presented by the prosecution showed that the convicts were guilty beyond reasonable doubt.