What To Do When You’re Feeling Sad & Lonely: 8 Mood Lifting Steps That Can Ease A Bad Day
Dec 5, 2014 – What To Do When You’re Feeling Sad & Lonely: 8 Mood Lifting Steps That Can Ease A Bad Day
Have you ever wake up feeling as if the whole world is upside down? Do you often find yourself in certain unhappy mood? Being sad or lonely is normal because humans are often controlled by feelings caused by chemical changes in the body.
Here are 8 things to do when you are feeling sad or lonely
1) Stop feeling bad about feeling bad: If it helps, make today a container. Know that you’re allowed to have this stuff and that nothing horrid is going to happen with this one day of getting thrown off.
2) Make no decisions: The late Richard Carlson, author and psychologist, gave this great advice: “Never make decisions when you’re in a low mood.” That’s because low moods are a natural occurrence and that any low-mood decisions are typically not healthy. Put off all decisions when you’re having a bad day.
3) Take a 20 minute walk: Bring a gentle affirmation along with you. On days like this you don’t want to say, “I am master of the universe!!!” On days like this you want to say, “I am loved. I am precious.”
4) Don’t try to FIX yourself today: No need to rush to the Self-Help section at Borders. Maybe there are steps you can take toward being healthier in the big picture. But today, let yourself stop.
5) Lower your standards: If you eat a good healthy meal, be proud. If you do a little yoga, give yourself a high five. Tomorrow you can have your old high standards back and be productive and evolved and all that. Not today.
6) Say NO to anything if it’s motivated by the word “should.”:This is a good rule to follow on good days too!
7)Ask yourself what you feel like doing: Sometimes the answer to this can be surprising. Maybe you’ll want to begin a fiction audiobook and clean your closet! Maybe you’ll just want a nap. Don’t judge your response. Just do it. You might be surprised at how this one little bit of permission changes your state instantly!
8) Don’t do anything destructive: Don’t overdose on sugar or indulge in alcohol. Don’t call anyone who drains you. It will not help.
Finally when you are feeling bad, be very very kind to yourself. Keep in mind that the victory is not about not having bad days anymore. The victory is that you can get back up after having one.