July 28, 2013 – Reprisal Attack: Boko Haram Gunmen Killed 20 In Dawashi Village, Borno State
At least 25 people were confirmed killed in separate attacks by suspected members of the Islamic terrorist group, Boko Haram, on Saturday in Borno State, military officials and witnesses said.
Some five members of volunteer vigilante group hunting Boko Haram were among the 25 killed, according to findings by the Associated Press, AP.
In an email sent from Baga, the spokesman of the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Lieutenant Haruna Sani, said at least 20 civilians died after the terrorist group launched what appeared to be a reprisal attack in Dawashi Village.
Mr. Sani said the members of the youth vigilante, Civilian JTF, had earlier invaded the town and arrested some members of the Boko Haram – an action the terrorists blamed on the connivance of the villagers.
Lieutenant Musa’s statement reads:
“A group of Civilian Joint Task Force from Maiduguri stormed the village Dawashi in search of BOKO HARAM members when the suspected sect members came armed and fired sporadic shots that killed over twenty innocent civilians while a dozen secured serious gunshot injury. The victims are mostly fishermen and traders who pursue their legitimate business in the area. As at the time of compiling this report, the victims were still lying within the premises of MNJTF Field Ambulance receiving medical treatment from the injury sustained during the attack.
“As part of the Excellent Civil Military Relations and humanitarian gesture demonstrated by Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) a dozen of BOKO HARAM victims affected by the attack in Dawashe District of Kukawa Local Government Borno State got medical treatment in the Headquarters Field Ambulance in Baga.
“Meanwhile,heavily armed Quick Reaction Group from MNJTF had been deployed to ensure the safety of lives and property in the area. The general area of Dawashi, Daban Masara and Malan karanti are known to be suspected BOKO HARAM.”
Meanwhile, members of the youth vigilante confirmed to PREMIUM TIMES that five of their members were killed in Ajilari, Ngomari and Bulumkutu by the Boko Haram members.
One of the members of the vigilante, Aliko Musa, said, “It was a huge loss to us, five of our brave minds have been killed yesterday by the outlawed Boko Haram; they paid the supreme price when we visited Mainok Village in search of the terrorists and we shall not relent.”
The spokesman of the JTF, Lieutenant Colonel Sagir Musa, denied the figure even though he confirmed the Mainok attack. According to him, only one of the youth vigilante died while one other sustained injuries.
The casualty suffered by the youth vigilante this weekend, if confirmed, would be the highest since their formation about two months ago.
The killings occur despite a ceasefire the Nigerian government said it achieved with sect, and despite the heavy military presence since a state of emergency was declared in Borno in May.
[Source: Premium Times]