Ghana-Based Nigerian Died At Lagos Airport After Ebola Virus Test, Corpse Abandoned


nigerian die lagos aiport ebola

August 12, 2014 – Ghana-Based Nigerian Died At Ikeja Lagos Airport After Ebola Test Turns Negative

A Nigerian passenger, who was about boarding an Arik Air flight back to Accra, Ghana slumped and died yesterday, moments after undergoing a screening to detect his Ebola virus status at the international wing of the Murtala Muhammed Airport (MMA) in Ikeja, Lagos. The result later showed he was Ebola negative.The death of the passenger, identified as Akunne Osei, at the section of the airport where port healthcare workers were busy carrying out inspection on outbound passengers to determine their Ebola virus status created panic among other passengers and workers that another Ebola virus victim had died at the airport and might have infected a few persons that had come in contact with him.

The lifeless body of the deceased was spotted at the second floor of the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

The situation caused panic as users of the area walked in fear as they passed through the lifeless body of the man.

It was covered in a pink towel along the corridor of the second floor, about three meters to the elevator that connects the first to the sixth floor of the terminal.

It was not clear what caused the death of the passenger, but sources told New Telegraph that the passenger who was allegedly on his way to Accra, Ghana, slumped and later died at the terminal.

A source close to the terminal told journalists that the dead passenger had slumped and later died at the office of the Port Health Service within the terminal when he attempted to collect a yellow card for his journey to the former Gold Coast country.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria yesterday in a statement signed by its spokesman, Yakubu Dati said a Nigerian passenger residing in Accra, who arrived Lagos for business transactions aboard an Arik Air flight on Friday August 8, 2014 died at the Muritala Mohammad Airport, Ikeja on his way back to Accra.

According to him, “The passenger, Akunne Osei, took ill on Saturday August 9 and started stooling. When the situation got worse, he called his doctor in Accra, who instructed him to return to Ghana immediately for further treatment.

During boarding formalities for his return trip to Accra, at the international terminal of MMA, Mr. Osei, who had obviously become weak at this time, was subjected to Ebola Virus test by port health officials, the result of which was negative. No further attention was paid to him after his Ebola Virus result read negative but the passenger later slumped and died around the port health office”.

[Reported New Telegraph]