June 13, 2014 – Naija Kitchen Episode 4: How To Cook Delicious Nigerian Fried Rice
Hello friends, long time no see… finally we are back in the kitchen.
In the episode, we’ll learn how to cook tasty Nigerian friend rice.
Mini Introduction: Nigerian Fried rice is special dish that is popular at birthdays, weddings and occasions all across Nigeria. It is a go-to meal for special Nigerian occasions.
Nigerian Fried rice can be served with Salad, Chicken, Fish, Moi Moi,etc.
We will spend an hour 15 minutes in this episode and the final product can be served to 8 people.
Here are the ingredients you will need
- 3 cups of white rice
- 2 cups of boiled meat water or chicken water aka beef or chicken stock.
- 2 tablespoon of curry powder (to produce the yellow colour)
- 3 maggi cubes (I use chicken knorr)
- 4 minced garlic
- Eight tablespoon of vegetable or corn oil
- Three carrots (Medium sized)
- Two Large Green bell pepper
- One cup of Green Peas
- 2 red onions (medium sized)
- A handful of Green Beans
- Two hundred gram of Cow Liver
NIGERIAN FRIED RICE COOKING INSTRUCTION
- Wash the cow liver thoroughly and dice it. Placed the diced liver in a small pot, add salt, and season it. Cook it for 13 minutes and set it aside.
- Wash the carrots and dice it, set it aside
- Remove the seeds from the green bell pepper, wash and dice it, set it aside
- Wash and dice the green beans
- Wash, and steam the green peas, add a little salt and set aside
- Wash and chop the onions, set it aside
- Parboil the rice in water for 10 minutes. Wash and rinse it with cold water
- Place the rice in a pot and add the beef or turkey or chicken stock..Add water, curry power, maggi cubes, salt and the minced garlic
- Cover the pot and leave it to cook till all the liquid in the pot dries up leaving the not-too-soft rice
FRIED RICE PREPARATION
Fried rice is usually done in batches (if you want to go the Authentic way) so you’d have to divide the veggies, rice and liver into 4 batches (let’s call it batch 1,2,3,4)
Step 1: Heat two tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pan.
Step 2: Add the batch 1 veggies (carrot, green pepper, peas, runner beans, onions) and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add the liver (Batch 1) and stir-fry for 2mins. Add the rice (Batch 1) and stir to incorporate the mixture, leave for 1 minute before turning out into a pot.
Repeat the process above till the whole batch is used up
NOTE: If you do not want to go through the stress, Simply Stir-fry all the veggies and liver in a pan, Add it to the curried rice and mix to incorporate. Leave to heat further on low heat before turning off the burner.
You are good to go… Please serve hot to enjoy.
See you on the next episode of Naija Kitchen.