Connect with us

NaijaGists.com – Proudly Nigerian DIY Motivation & Information Blog

10 Lagos State School Of Nursing Students Fainted After Inhaling Foul Odour From Dumpsite In Igando

Crime News

10 Lagos State School Of Nursing Students Fainted After Inhaling Foul Odour From Dumpsite In Igando

lagos state nursing student fainted igando

June 1st, 2015 – 10 Lagos State School Of Nursing Students Collapsed After Inhaling Foul Odour From Dumpsite In Igando

At least 10 students of the Lagos State School of Nursing, Midwifery and Public Health at Igando General Hospital, have allegedly slumped from inhaling the stench from a dumpsite behind the hospital.
Many of them slumped from the smell.

They reportedly slumped last week, raising the students’ fear that their health is at risk.
An eyewitness said: “Last Wednesday’s incident was the third this year. There had been cases of students becoming unconscious as a result of the smell they inhaled from the dump site beside the school. They were, however, revived with oxygen and immuniser. Some were taken to the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), Ikeja. Where they were attended to and we suspect they might have ended up with asthma.”
igando dumpsite

A source said: ‘It is alarming to have parents send their children and wards to school only to end up being exposed to an hazardous environment that could lead to asthma. My child was among the victims and she was asked to buy Augmentin tablets, Inhaler and Salburtamol tablets by LASUTH where they were taken to. I refused to take any action since the school has promised to look into it.”

A victim said:

“We were receiving Anatomy and Physiology lecture that Wednesday between 9am and 10am. When we ended the lecture, we just observed that some of our colleagues were collapsing; they were taken to the Igando Hospital and were attended to. But as we got to our hostel, more people slumped. That was when the alarm was raised.

“I did not know when I slumped too. I found myself at LASUTH. More than 10 of us were involved. Three were older students. At LASUTH, we were treated for asthma-related complications. The first batch was attended to at Igando while I was among the second batch treated at LASUTH.”
The management, it was learnt, is working to get the waste managers to clear the site. “This is why we resumed lectures as early as 9am,” the student said.

 

A resident, Mr David Odeh, said the smell from the dump site is terrible, adding that it is capable of causing serious health hazard. He said: “But what can we do than wait for the government to look into the issue.

Health is wealth. So, they need to look into the issue and not sweep it under the carpet.”
Odeh described the problem a recurrent, urging the government to do something fast about it.

A bus driver, Mr Lukman Rasheed said: “Most passengers often urge me to drive fast anytime I am plying the route. The kind of odour oozing out from there is very bad.

An official of the Ministry of Health said the ministry was aware of the matter adding that it is the present government that would address it.

When we sought to know what was being done by the school, its coordinator, Mrs Orenuga Oyefunso said: “I am a civil servant. If you need any information on the matter, go and speak to the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Ministry of Health. I am not going to answer your questions.”

[Wale Adepoju, The Nation]

6 Comments

6 Comments

  1. Laolu

    June 1, 2015 at 4:59 AM

    They all went school to go and get asthma. all parents should withdraw their kids from there

  2. sash

    June 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM

    The incident above is not really true the attack was because of the smoke coming from the dumpsite and the students were onli choking and oxygen corrected the whole thing and the person who said parent shuld withdraw their wards are you ready to put them in another school or would you return their fees let us think wisely and not say things out of ignorance

    • phina

      March 30, 2016 at 8:02 AM

      Pls sash I am a young mother and I want to enroll in this school ,pls can student live off campus?

  3. Dami

    June 3, 2016 at 6:52 AM

    Pls is school of nursing igando of 2016/2017 form out?

  4. OPEYEMI

    June 12, 2016 at 3:40 PM

    Pls is school of nursing igando 2016/2017 form out pls

  5. Bola

    April 4, 2017 at 6:27 PM

    Pls shuld all student be choking everytime as a result of smoke, beside it a school premises in which it has to be conducive for student nd nt making them to faint. Pls let government do smting

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More in Crime News

Advertisement

NEW UPDATES

Advertisement

To Top