April 20, 2013 – 5,000 Boko Haram Members Amnesty Grant Sparks Outrage – Nigerians React
Boko Haram members who publicly rejected a proposed amnesty grant by the Federal Government of Nigeria are secretly bowing to it.
According to sources, well over 5,000 members of the terrorist sect and their wives & children may soon benefit from the proposed FG amnesty.
A committee that was set up last week Wednesday has recommended the release of some members of the sect who are currently in detention.
“The government may start with the release of this category of people as a sign of its commitment to peace. I believe members of this committee will be favourably disposed to making this recommendation.” – said a top security source
The controversial amnesty plan has however sparked mixed reactions from Nigerian citizens.
Read some of the reactions below;
- I still think rewarding bad behavior as a government policy is an invitation to further bad behavior Like a commentator pointed out The resort to bombing by Okah and killing of 12 Nigerian police officers in Otueke recently even after amnesty goes to show that this much touted amnesty is not a magic wand after all Give them amnesty if you will but that will not end the killing just mark my word Instead of projecting strength we have been projecting weakness as a nation and this to my mind is even more dangerous than BH
- PROFITIZATION OF MILITANCY SHOULD BE DISCOURAGE. ACCORDING TO PROFESSOR GILL EAGLE A PSYCHOLOGY LECTURER AT THE UNIVERSTY OF THE WITWA TERSRAND SAYS THAT PEOPLE BECAME VIOLENCE WHEN THEY NOTICE THAT PERPETERATOR OF VIOLENCE ARE NOT PUNISHED. .CONSEQUENTLY THE MORAL VALUE ARE REPLACED WITH VALUE OF AGGRESSION BECAUSE IT OBSERVED THAT SOCIETY CELEBRATE VIOLENT PEOPLE. NIGERIA IS NOW SAID TO BE CELEBRATING VIOLENCE PEOPLE. SINCE VIOLENT ENGAGEMENT HAS BECOME A VIABLE ECONOMIC ENTERPRISE WERE ONE CAN BE GIVEN LUCRATIVE CONTRACT . JOKINGLY OR NOT JOKINGLY VIOLENT ENGAGEMENT HAS BECOME A VIABLE ECONOMIC ENTERPRISE WHERE ONE CAN MAKE BRISK MONEY TOMMPOLO AND ASARI DOKUNBO OPC ADAM CAN TESTIFY TO THAT.
- To be fair to all the criminals and prisoners, I urge the president to extend his amnesty to all criminals and prisoners, even those who lost their job on the account of indiscipline should be recalled back and paid compensation for the embarrassment caused them.
- How prepared and equipped with advanced technological security apparatus the police that you are talking about are in terms of responding to such call by somebody? Was it not in this country tht some policemen died while trying to diffuse a bomb with their bare hands? You better don’t let us overflog the issue of incapability of our government to successfully fight insurgency of this nature with the kind of technology it demands.
- Boko Haram originated from a Kanuri state not even Hausa or Fulani dominated state. Stupid people like you should just keep quite and observe government programmes Its your type that are beating drums of war because you do not even know what it is. Anything that will bring a lasting solution to the current Nigerian security challenges is supported.
- Am not in support of amnesty but Niger delta militants started all these rubbish happening in nigeria nw, asari dokubo was a xtian converted to muslim started mujaidin,killed and kidnapped,so what do you expected the kanuris to do? the law that grant amnesty to dokubo and his boys, shld grant amnesty to BH.Muslims are endangering this planet.
- All terrorist activities, from the maghreb, to sudan,to somalia,to Iran,Iraq,Afghanistan to Pakistan are all associated with mainstream Islam.The hatred being generated worldwide against mUslIms is a good sign. It means that collective effort will be generated to end their mindless bigoted jihadism.