How To Get Over Rejection Issues And Move On With Life
Rejection results from not being accepted by a friend, an acquaintance, one’s family of origin, romantic partner or life events not involving relationships. It is something that we encounter everyday in different ways and when it happens, it makes us feel as if we are not good enough or that there’s no need to try again. If rejection is not properly handled, it could lead to trauma, depression, abuse, anxiety and stress.
Below are different scenarios of rejection and ways to counter their effect in our daily life.
How to get over rejection from a girl
Loving a girl who doesn’t love you back can be tough since you might have gone through a lot just to show her your feelings. Most guys are naturally shy and it takes a lot of effort for them to approach that one girl they like so imagine how terrible it will be if the girl of interest rejects them. Here are ways for you to move on with your life;
- Stay strong and remember that not everyone is compatible with you.
- Hang out with your guy friends and have a good time.
- Try finding another love interest: Don’t try to pester the girl to return your feelings. There are other girls who want you.
- Visit the gym and other sports club as a means to build yourself and meet with other people.
- Don’t try to rain insults on her: It is immature to be rude just because she rejects you.
- Never regret that you loved her, maybe she’s not lucky enough to have a guy like you.
- Don’t try to change your outlook just because you feel she has a particular preference.
- Remember that there are many reasons why she might not be interested in you.
- Respect her boundaries: Know when to give up, don’t be pushy or try to stalk her. It will only make her dislike you the more.
How to get over rejection from a guy
Despite how embarrassing it is to ask a guy out or express your feelings for a guy, it is even more painful for them not to feel the same way. You become heartbroken just because you put yourself out there. Well you can recover from the pain and come back even stronger when you;
- Accept the guy’s decisions and avoid trying to make him see what he’s missing.
- Don’t force yourself to stick around: It will only make you look desperate for attention.
- Don’t personalize the rejection by thinking that you are unattractive or not worth being loved. A person’s feeling about you doesn’t measure your character.
- Give yourself time to grieve: It is not the end of the world if the guy doesn’t feel the same way about you. You will still meet someone better.
- Try to talk to your best friends about it: It is better to talk about your feelings than to bottle it up inside.
- Get confident: Take yourself out, buy new stuffs like clothes, bags, shoes etc and change your look.
- Build your self esteem back and don’t let anyone trample on it: Just because he rejects you doesn’t mean other guys won’t appreciate what you have to offer.
- Don’t follow another guy just because you are looking for a rebound or a quick way to escape your feelings.
- Engage in activities that make you happy and relaxed. The busier you are, the easier it will be to get over the rejection.
- Go on a casual date or blind date.
- Try therapy: If you feel that you have tried so many things to let go and it is not working you can consult a professional who can help you sort your feelings out.
How to get over rejection from a crush
Having a crush on someone is pretty normal but getting over the crush is never easy as it could take weeks, months, or even years to achieve but you can surely get past it when you try the following:
- Go out and pursue new relationships because you might find someone you like more than your crush.
- Refrain from intimate contact with the person as it will only make you visualize stuffs that might never happen.
- Treat the person like a friend and eventually you will feel better around one another.
- Don’t waste your time pinning over your crush: It is never healthy so distract yourself, join a book club, art club or do something exciting that will make you feel better. Keep yourself busy instead of drowning in your thoughts.
- Find happiness in other people’s company: Share your emotions with supportive persons like your friends and family.
- Grieve: It is healthy to be sad when you have feelings for someone and it doesn’t work out. Even if you were not in a relationship with the person it will still feel as if you lost someone. Feel proud of yourself that you had the confidence to share your true feelings
- Try to stay away: This doesn’t mean you should totally hide out and avoid them. Just try to give some distance.
- Don’t glare or treat the person rudely just because your feelings were not returned.
- Take care of yourself: Just because your feelings were hurt doesn’t mean you should be unkempt and moody instead you should try a healthy routine every day. Eat regularly, try exercise or even therapy. These activities will make you feel a lot better.
- Don’t ask your friends about your crush: You might be curious to know if the person is dating someone else but asking will only worsen the feelings. If you have mutual friends tell them to not mention anything about the person.
How to get over rejection from someone you love
Rejection from a romantic partner can be quite challenging and overwhelming as you have already envisioned your future with that person. It is okay to grieve over past relationships but it is not healthy when it takes years to move on. You can get back to your normal self by doing the following,
- Don’t listen to any love songs that might bring up memories of both of you.
- Spend quality time with friends and go to social events you normally wouldn’t attend.
- Keep yourself busy with things that interest you instead of reminiscing about old times spent with your past partner.
- Avoid staying alone all the time.
- Don’t rush into another relationship when you are not completely over your feelings because it will only make it worse and you will be feeling like an idiot.
- Don’t do the things that remind you of your ex-partner.
- Practice forgiveness so as to eliminate grudges that will hinder your happiness.
- Don’t stalk your ex-lover because you’ll start seeing happy pictures of the person and it will make you feel like you deserve to still be with them.
- Stop thinking of what could have been because it will drive you crazy.
- Don’t think that you are a failure in love just because your partner left you.
- Stop feeling that you were never good enough just because the person could not see your value.
- Channel your anger to something productive instead of lashing out on others.
- Don’t try to play revenge on the person as that will only make you feel worse.
- It is not really bad to still want to be friends with the person you love but it is better to cut off all contacts with the person for at least a month to help your healing process.
- Don’t try to falsify your happiness: Take out time to talk with people because most of them can understand how hard it is to let go of someone you love.
How to get over rejection from a friend
A friend is an individual that is always there in times of good and bad. Imagine having feelings for your friend and it is not reciprocated. It will be absolutely devastating to be around such a friend but you can learn to cope and accept their response when you:
- Try to be polite and smile: Become comfortable in the presence of your friend so as not to make things awkward.
- Accept your feelings: The sooner you come to terms with it, the sooner you will heal and move on.
- Have a candid discussion with that friend about where the friendship stands.
- Boost your social life and make other friends: Seek out other sources of friendship if the person doesn’t want to continue being your friend.
- Spend time with other people who value you for who you are.
- Get some space from them by changing your usual hanging out spot. Don’t do things that will remind you of the failed friendship.
How to get over rejection from a job
It sucks to not get your dream job or the promotion you have been aiming for but that doesn’t mean something better won’t come afterwards. Just because you get rejected at a job today doesn’t mean that you’ll get rejected in a similar situation tomorrow but expect to succeed when you:
- Develop your interview techniques so that you can overcome objections from interviewers.
- Narrow your search since jobs are becoming more competitive and be highly selective where you apply.
- Don’t feel that you are not good enough for the job instead you should remember that it is all part of the process for you to grow.
- Stop over-analyzing the reasons why you were not selected and take pride in your past victories and accomplishments.
- Never give up. Just keep trying other organizations that might be hiring.
- Work on things that will build your self-esteem and confidence.