Woman Dies Of Cholera After Eating Abacha Igbo Salad In Lagos

abacha igbo salad death

Nov 5, 2013 – Newly Married Bride Dies Of Cholera After Eating Abacha, Igbo Salad In Lagos

A newly married woman has passed away in Lagos State Nigeria after she contracted Cholera from a popular Igbo salad named Abacha.

The victim identified as Blessing passed away yesterday at the Military Hospital in Yaba Lagos just 2 weeks after her wedding.

Since last week Thursday when she contracted the deadly disease, doctors at the aforementioned hospital had been working tirelessly to save her life.

Blessing’s death has brought the no of cholera related death to 4 in Lagos since the outbreak 2 weeks ago.

She was said to have been admitted for cholera at the military hospital along with another victim who survived.

A source close to the deceased, who was in shock told P.M.NEWS that Blessing got married in September, 2013 and lost her life less than two months later to cholera.

The deceased was said to have eaten Abacha last Thursday night. It was bought by her husband, who did not know that the government had identified Abasha as one of the local salad cholera could be contracted from.

The two of them ate the salad but only the wife contracted cholera and died, while the husband has no trace of the disease.

It was gathered that after eating the salad, the couple went to bed and at about 2 a.m., Blessing was said to have suddenly woken up and started vomiting and stooling several times before day break.

She was rushed to a hospital in the area and when the case was becoming critical, she was taken to the Military Hospital, Yaba for proper attention.

It was learnt that the deceased was getting better and would have been discharged Monday, but was said to have suddenly developed another complication.

She was reported to have stooled four times at short notice, while the doctor treating her was said to have changed her medication, which later aggravated the case and she died.

There have also been reported cases of cholera in some parts o Lagos, P.M.NEWS learnt. Two pupils of Olumo Primary School, Onike, Iwaya area of Yaba were said to have contracted the disease.

At Meiran Primary Health Centre, Agbado-Oke-Odo on Monday, several children and adults with cases of serious stooling and vomiting were rushed to the centre. The doctor at the centre had a hectic day deciding whether the cases were cholera or not.

Last weekend, the Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, said that there have not been any new cases of confirmed cholera in the state aside the three deaths earlier confirmed since the detection of the disease in the state.

Idris said efforts were being made to curb the spread of the disease, noting that not all diarrheoa cases were cholera and added that various organs of the government had been working hard to prevent the spread.

“Following the notice alerting the public to the cases of cholera in some parts of the state, various organs of the government like the ministries of Health, Information and Strategy, Environment, Water Corporation, Waste Water Management Office, Rural Development and Water Regulatory Agency have risen to the occasion, and have been working tirelessly to contain the spread. Since that time, we have not recorded any new cases of confirmed cholera,” he said.

The commissioner stated that ongoing surveillance activities by his ministry has identified the consumption of a local salad called ‘Abasa’ and polluted well water as the common causes of cholera infection, stressing that the outcome of the investigation carried out on the local salad showed that the sample contained germs which could cause cholera, typhoid and other serious diseases.

“We still need to identify other sources and the cooperation of the public in this regard is of utmost importance. We as a government will continue to carry out our responsibilities to the people, however the people themselves have a greater role to play by maintaining good personal, environmental hygiene and sanitation at all times,” Idris added.

He explained that cholera infection spread through the eating or drinking of contaminated food and water, saying that the spread was further enhanced by very poor personal hygiene and sanitation practices.

According to him, “cholera is very dangerous and kills within a short period of time if not treated properly. The death results from extensive loss of body fluid through diarrhea and vomiting. People who have died of it were observed to seek treatment very late and were brought to the hospitals in poor conditions.”

Idris urged members of the public to be vigilant and report any suspected cases of cholera to the nearest local government, as the disease should be suspected in any person who develops frequent rice water stool with or without vomiting, weakness, excessive loss of body fluid and dehydration.

[Report by Kazeem Ugbodaga, PM Lagos]

14 thoughts on “Woman Dies Of Cholera After Eating Abacha Igbo Salad In Lagos

  1. rip madam na the food wey u sabi kill you.
    this is the danger of eating locally prepared food
    Cook at home people

    • @ADAORA THE SENSELESS BEING…..That’s a very abnormal and senseless way of speaking.if you are not blind,and stupid,you will read properly,that HER HUSBAND BOUGHT THE ABASHA,not her.Moreover,you have no idea of what death you also gonna die of.You are so pathetic,I don’t think you are a woman at all.i node my head on your behalf.one minute between death,and live girl.learn to be sober.You just spoke as if,you have the duplicate of ur own life under ur pillow.sick ass,[email protected]

      • @ADAORA….moreover,there’s nothing wrong if you skip a day from entering your kitchen.it’s even a romantic way of live,if you,and your family go out one a while to grab a launch or dinner outside your home.it unite your home,and your family wouldn’t get bored of your cooking.you lack exposure,it is a great disease ADAORA.Be sociable,change your style,and come out with new things to trill your man.This is why divorce rate is getting high by the day.doing the same thing all the time bores a man.someone like you will be so bored in bed.i pity your life girl.it is ver unfortunate,it happens this way,but am sure that restaurant wasn’t new,loads of ppl must v eaten there,without no such bad news.i believe when is one’s time,you can’t avert it,death remains inevitable.Rip woman,may you find eternal rest.

  2. D devil can pass tru small media in killin sumone,i believe dat dey hve killed her 4rm her village bcos of her recent marriage cha..may her soul rest in peace

  3. @bezo, i sympathize wit ur abysmal level of ignorance,what has igbo got 2 do with dis,think b4 u voice dat disjointed thoughts of yours,anyway may her soul rest in peace

  4. But how come the wife and husband ate the Abacha and only the wife contaminated cholera. They need to do an autopsy to ascertain what killed her, it could be poison.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *