Feb 21, 2017 – Nigerian Mechanic Who Lost N240.6Million To Xenophobic Attack In South Africa Begs FG For Help
- Mr Simon Adeoye, a 42 year old South Africa based Nigerian automobile mechanic, said on Tuesday that he lost N240.6 million (R10m) to the Xenophobic attack on his workshop on Saturday.
- Adeoye told NAN on telephone from Pretoria, South Africa, that he got a call on the day of the incident that his workshop had been set ablaze and rushed to the place.
“ By the time I got there, 29 cars of different make, some Nigerian passports, documents of the workshop, money and other personal effects had been destroyed by fire.
“ I was helpless and could not do anything,” he said.
Adeoye said that some of the cars belonged to South Africans while others were being repaired for sale.
“ I appeal to the Federal Government to assist me get back to business. Officials of the Nigerian mission have visited the workshop to do an assessment and we are yet to hear from them,” he said.
According to him, the mission should provide replacement for the passports gutted by fire to enable affected Nigerians have documents.
Adeoye stated that officials of Nigeria Union had visited and commiserated with him on the unfortunate incident.
“ At the moment, I have lost everything I have. I need urgent help to re-start my business. This will also assist me pay my workers who have families to cater for,” he said. (NAN)