How To Set Goals And Achieve Them
Goal setting is very important because it gives you a sense of direction and control over your life. To achieve your goals you need to know how to set them.
How To Set Goals
Goals are necessary for you to have a happy future because it makes it possible for you to accomplish anything. It provides you the means to know if you are actually succeeding. Before you set goals, you need to:
- Think of the different areas where you are interested in and make a plan.
- Be sure about what you really want to do: This makes it much easier for you to prioritize your options.
- Be realistic: You need to ask yourself if you have the capability to follow through the plan. Make sure the goal is within what you can achieve.
- Set specific goals that are easy and well defined and which state what you really want to achieve.
- Look at the advantages and disadvantages of the project before you set the goal.
- Be sure that the goal is attainable and consider how long it will take for you to achieve it.
- Decide what you will gain from it if you lose.
- Set goals that will motivate you.
- Think of where you are going.
- Tell someone about your plan: It could be a friend or a father figure that can give you feedback on how to go about it.
- Determine how much you’ll spend for the project and make provision for it.
- Visualize the end result of your plan.
How To Achieve The Set Goal
Achieving goals mean taking consideration of what you want and putting a lot of hard work to do it. Achieving the goals you set may not be an easy task because of the processes it involves, but it can be very fulfilling when you get the desired result. For you to be able to achieve your set goals, you need to:
Set clear goals:
If you don’t have a clear goal then you won’t have a clear plan for you to achieve. Nothing worthwhile can be achieved if there’s no plan to guide you.
Start from somewhere:
Even if you don’t know how to go about it, still try to work on it. Don’t go about procrastinating and extending the start time.
Stick to the plan you set:
Try as much as possible to follow the steps in your laid out plan.
- Split your large plans into simpler ones for easy success.
Don’t beat yourself up when you experience setback. You’ve got to remember that some goals might take some time to achieve, and even if you fail in one you can still achieve the others.
- Put in more time and effort and be consistent.
Reflect on your plan everyday:
Keep a visible list of your goals as it will help you to know when you have met the goals.
- View the set goals as a mean for you to grow and be better.
- Stay passionate and give room for failure.
- Identify what could prevent you from achieving your goals and look for ways to counter them.
Gather the resources you’ll need:
You can do it yourself or ask for guidance.
Look for something that can motivate you to work towards your goal.
You will need to have a sense of purpose that will drive you to achieving your goal. You can also think of your past achievements.
Revise your goals to check your performance level and if possible make few changes.
You can ask for external support from your family or friends if it is something you can’t accomplish alone.
Set a deadline:
This should cover the time frame you want. Give yourself enough time to accomplish what you’ve set.
For more motivational articles, visit NaijaGists Motivation Column.