Godliness May Be Costly, But The End Result Is Priceless
Welcome to another exciting week! I hope you were blessed by last week teaching. Today, we shall focus on: Exploring the Wonders of Godliness!
According to the scriptures, we can only become what we believe. As it is written, But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name (John 1:12). It is important to know that whatever God says is established in heaven to be manifested on the earth. If He says Be ye holy for I am holy. That means He has made available the provisions for our empowerment to live a holy life.
So we must believe that we can become holy because holiness is attainable by faith. Godliness is a value-adding virtue. It impacts positively on every area of our lives. Everything that works in the Kingdom has godliness at its root (Acts 20:32). It takes sanctification to access our inheritance. By the act of resurrection, sin has no more dominion over us. We, therefore, have the legal right to stand against sin (Romans 6:14; Colossians 2:15).
Also, it is important we recognise that sin is a mystery and its ultimate goal is to distract us from God’s way, so we can miss the best of life (2 Thessalonians 2:7). However, godliness is a greater mystery (1Timothy 3:16). By inference, the greater mystery of godliness will always swallow up the mystery of iniquity. So we need an understanding of the mystery of godliness to dominate the forces responsible for sin and unrighteousness.
- Sin is demonic: Behind every deadly habit is demonic forces. Satan provoked David to break God’s law by numbering Israel (1 Chronicles 21:1; see also 1 Corinthians 6:9-11; 1 Timothy2:14; 2 Thessalonians 2:3-7). In Luke 22:3, satan was behind the betrayal process. He masterminded the act and after the deal, Judas’ eyes were open. He couldn’t see until the deed was done.
The demonic spirits of sin include the following:
- Seducing spirit: It is also called the spirit of whoredom and it is behind all forms of sexual immoralities (1 Timothy 4:1-2). The spirit of whoredom pressurised Samson through Delilah until he met his waterloo. It worked on David and he took Uriah’s wife and killed him. Also, Joseph was seduced by Potiphar’s wife. He suffered momentarily but ended up in the king’s palace (Hosea 5:1-4; Judges 16:4-9; 2 Samuel 11:1-6; Revelation 2:20).
- The spirit of filthiness: It is also called unclean spirit (Mark 6:7). Satan clothed Joshua, the high priest, with a filthy garment and stood at his right hand to resist him (Zechariah 3:1-5; Matthew 10:1; Mark 5:1-15).
- The spirit of covetousness: Nothing is enough for the covetous. They continuously desire more until they lose their lives. For instance, satan was responsible for Judas’ covetousness, until he became the son of perdition and was destroyed (Luke 22:3-6). Furthermore, Achan and his household were destroyed because of the spirit of covetousness at work in his life. This spirit also ended the destiny of Gehazi. He went after Naaman for riches until he lost everything and ended up a leper (John 12:6; Joshua 7:20-21; 2 Kings 5:20-24).
- The spirit of pride: That was the spirit that dethroned satan. Hence, he is the brain behind pride and he engages it to disconnect us from God. According to scriptures, God resists the proud but gives more grace to the humble. This spirit destroyed King Herod and turned king Nebuchadnezzar to an animal. It can make anyone lose their place with God because until our humility is proved, we cannot qualify for His lifting (Acts 12:21-23; Daniel 4:30-33).
- The spirit of the world: This is the spirit behind the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life and we can only overcome it by the Spirit of God (1 John 2:15-17; 1 Corinthians 2:12).
- The spirit of addiction/bondage: There are certain habits and addictions that have held us captive, but we can overcome because whatever is born of God overcometh the world (Romans 8:15; Luke 13:16; 1 John 2:14-17).
What Do We Do To Break The Demonic Hold Of Sin?
- Engage the Spirit of God: Since demonic forces are responsible for every sinful habit, the war against it must be a war of Spirit against spirits (Romans 8:13). To ‘mortify’ means to destroy. Therefore, it takes the Spirit of God to destroy the deeds of the flesh (Isaiah 59:19).
- Crave the baptism of the Spirit of holiness: This is the only cure for the spirit of filthiness. Just as we engage the forces of light to conquer those of darkness, we must also engage the Spirit of holiness to destroy the spirit of filthiness. The Holy Ghost is that Spirit of holiness (Malachi 3:1-5; Romans 1:4).
- Engage the mystery of praying in the Holy Ghost: This is why the baptism of the Holy Spirit is crucial to our Christian walk. Praying in the Holy Ghost is one of the mysteries that confer mastery upon our lives against the forces of sin (Jude 20). It is a private line between us and God, which enables us to call for help when we are in need (1 Corinthians 14:18).
Benefit of Godliness
- It launches us into realms of exploits: It takes godliness to grow in revelation and it takes revelation to accomplish exploits. For instance, Job had access to the secrets of God because he feared God and eschewed evil. These secrets made him the greatest businessman in the East (Psalm 25:14). Therefore, when we walk in the fear of God, we gain supernatural access to the secrets of God that makes us Kingdom stars (Job 1:1-3, 29:4; Proverbs 1:23; Isaiah 60:1-3; Daniel 11:32; Deuteronomy 29:29).
In summary, godliness may be costly, but the end result is priceless. It cost Joseph years in prison, but he ended in the palace. Thus, godliness is the foundation of every giant in the Kingdom. The race may be slow, but it is sure to end in victory. However, you must be born again. Are you born again? If you are not, this is an opportunity to do so. Simply say the following prayer: Lord Jesus, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me of my sins. Cleanse me with Your precious Blood. Today, I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Thank You, Jesus, for saving me! Now, I know I am born again! For further reading, please get my books: Walking in the Newness of Life, Conquering Controlling Powers and The Blood Triumph. I invite you to fellowship with us at the Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, the covenant home of Winners. We have four services on Sundays, holding at 6:00 a.m., 7:50 a.m., 9:40 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. respectively. I know this teaching has blessed you. Write and share your testimony with me through: Faith Tabernacle, Canaanland, Ota, P.M.B. 21688, Ikeja, Lagos, Nigeria, or call 01-4548070, 01-4548280, or E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook: David Oyedepo Ministries International, Twitter: @DavidOyedepoMin.