How To Apply For, Get Colombian Student, Study Visa From Nigeria.Online Application Form & Step By Step Guide
At the end of this article, it is expected that you would have gained sufficient knowledge about the basic facts of applying for a Colombia student visa from Nigeria.
That said, the entire process shouldn’t be very stressful as you’d think. But before you can be eligible for a Colombia student visa you need to have been offered admission into a recognized Colombian educational institution and be above eighteen years of age. For children below 18, you need to obtain a letter of consent from both of your parents in addition to some other documents which will be listed out later in this article.
Some Basic Information about Colombia
Named after the famous Italian Explorer Christopher Columbus, the Republic of Colombia is a South American nation with its capital in Bogota. This Latin American country is famous for its large coffee market – the third largest in the world, which gave it the title of “coffee economy.” Besides its renown for coffee, Colombia is also an exporter of crude oil.
Since Colombia was colonized by the Spanish the official language is Spanish. The population is more than forty-four million people while their currency is the Peso.
Although most parts of the country are developed, the cost of living is generally cheaper than in some other Western countries. This is one of the reasons why Colombia is attractive to foreigners especially students.
Types of Colombia Visas
Every foreign citizen seeking to enter Colombia will need to have a visa. The reason for visiting will determine the type of visa you will be issued. There are about 17 different visa types for foreign citizens, but the ones listed below are some of the most common:
- Business visa: As the name suggests, a business visa is issued to any person traveling to Colombia for business reasons.
- Tourist visa: Tourists visiting the Latin America country will need a tourist visa. This type of visa is meant to last for a maximum of six months.
- Work visa: This is a type of visa required by foreigners traveling to Colombia for employment. It can be short term or long term.
- Student visa: A student visa is issued to anyone who has been offered admission into a Colombian school. Presently there are two types of student visas, the first is referred to as a TP-3 visa and is valid for one year while the newer type of student visa is the M-9 visa. M-9 (where M stands for Migrant) visa was introduced in 2017 and is meant to replace the older TP-3 visa.
Required Documents for Applying for Colombia student visa
Before you can be eligible for a Colombia student visa, you will need to have the following documents:
- Your Nigerian passport with validity of at least 6 months
- A letter of enrollment or admission from the Colombian institution. The letter should indicate the details of your programme with a minimum of 10 hours of school work each week.
- 3 recent passport-sized photographs (dimensions of 3cm x 4cm)
- Receipt for visa application fees
- A copy of previous Colombian visa (if you have previously applied for one)
- The visa application form which has been filled and endorsed by you (you can download the form from this web link https://tramitesmre.cancilleria.gov.co/tramites/enlinea/solicitarVisa.xhtml).
- Proof of financial capability to show that you have the means to cater for yourself during the course of your studies in the country
- Photocopies of all the above-listed documents and any other document that may be requested by the consular.
Steps for applying for Colombia student visa from Nigeria
There are two methods of applying for a Colombian Student visa from Nigerian. These include the offline or physical method and the online method.
After getting all the necessary documents for the application process, you will have to go to the nearest Colombia Embassy in Nigeria to submit them. The Colombia Embassy in Nigeria is located in Lagos: 43, Raymond Njoku Street, Ikoyi, Lagos.
- Submit your documents at the Colombia Embassy: Visit the Colombia Embassy with all the above-listed documents. Your documents will be scrutinized after submission to ascertain that they are genuine. You may also be required to get your biometrics information (such as your face or fingerprint) captured.
- Wait for your application to be processed: The application process for a Colombia student visa is meant to take about 10 days after which you get a feedback on whether your application was approved or not.
- After getting your student visa it is required that you send a copy of the visa to the Security Administration Department (DAS) in Colombia. In addition, upon arrival in Colombia, you will have to report to the institution that admitted you for registration.
Intending travelers can also apply for the Colombian Student visa online. The online method is fairly easier than the offline method as you can do it from the comfort of your bed. However, for this method, applicants will need to have scanned copies of all the required documents as already stated.
In addition to the supporting documents, you will be asked to present the following details:
- Your Nigerian passport number
- Your names (First name, middle name, last name, and second last name if available)
- Date of birth
While the above data are the basics, you may be required to provide additional information.
Applying for a Colombia Student Visa from Nigeria is not particularly stressful or lengthy as with other countries. This type of visa is only issued to anybody that is going to Colombia for school and not for any other reason. Following the steps listed in this article will assist you in your application process.
In conclusion, while there may be additional steps involved in the process, the steps outlined in this article are meant to serve as a basic guide for Nigerian citizen seeking a Colombian Student visa.